It took me a long time to learn where he came from.The little prince, who asked me so many questions, never seemed to hear the ones I asked him.It was from words dropped by chance that, little by little, everything was revealed to me.
我花了很长时间才弄清楚他是从哪里来的。了我很多问题的小王子似乎从来没有听到我问他的问题。正是从偶然说出的话语中,一点一点地,一切都向我揭示了。
The first time he saw my airplane, for instance (I shall not draw my airplane; that would be much too complicated for me), he asked me:
例如,他第一次看到我的飞机时(我不该画我的飞机;那对我来说太复杂了),他问我:
"What is that object?"
“那是什么东西?”
"That is not an object. It flies. It is an airplane. It is my airplane."
“那不是东西。它会。它是飞机。它是我的飞机。”
And I was proud to have him learn that I could fly.
我为能让他知道我会而感到自豪
He cried out, then:
然后他喊道
"What! You dropped down from the sky?"
“什么!你从天上掉下来的?”
"Yes," I answered, modestly.
“是的,”我谦虚地回答。
"Oh!That is funny!"
“哦!有趣!”
And the little prince broke into a lovely peal of laughter, which irritated me very much.I like my misfortunes to be taken seriously.
小王子爆发出了一阵悦耳的笑声,这让我非常恼火我希望我的不幸能被认真对待
Then he added:
然后他补充说
"So you, too, come from the sky! Which is your planet?"
“所以,你也来自天空!你的星球是哪个?”
At that moment I caught a gleam of light in the impenetrable mystery of his presence; and I demanded, abruptly:
那一刻,我从他那深不可测的存在之中捕捉到了一丝光芒;我突然问道:
"Do you come from another planet?"
“你是从另一个星球来的吗?”
But he did not reply.He tossed his head gently, without taking his eyes from my plane:
但他没有回答轻轻地甩了甩头,眼睛始终没有离开我的飞机
"It is true that on that you can't have come from very far away . . ."
的确,从那上面看,你不可能来自很远的地方……”
And he sank into a reverie, which lasted a long time.Then, taking my sheep out of his pocket, he buried himself in the contemplation of his treasure.
陷入沉思持续了很长时间。然后,他从口袋里拿出我的绵羊埋头凝视着他的宝贝
You can imagine how my curiosity was aroused by this half-confidence about the "other planets."I made a great effort, therefore, to find out more on this subject.
你可以想象我对这种关于“其他星球”的半信半疑的好奇心是如何被激起的。因此,我付出了巨大的努力,想在这个问题了解更多。
"My little man, where do you come from? What is this'where I live,' of which you speak? Where do you want to take your sheep?"
“我的小家伙,你从哪里来?你的这个‘我住的地方’是什么?你想把你的绵羊带到哪里去?”
After a reflective silence he answered:
经过一段沉思的沉默,他回答说:
"The thing that is so good about the box you have given me is that at night he can use it as his house."
“你给我的这个箱子,它的好处是晚上它可以当他的房子用。”
"That is so. And if you are good I will give you a string, too, so that you can tie him during the day, and a post to tie him to."
“是这样。如果你,我也会给你一根绳子,这样你就可以在白天把他起来,还有一根柱子可以把他拴在上面。”
But the little prince seemed shocked by this offer:
但是王子似乎对这个提议感到震惊
"Tie him! What a queer idea!"
拴住他!多么奇怪的想法!”
"But if you don't tie him," I said, "he will wander off somewhere, and get lost."
“但是如果你不拴住他,”我说,“他会到处乱跑,然后迷路的。”
My friend broke into another peal of laughter:
我的朋友又一次爆发出一阵笑声
"But where do you think he would go?"
“但你认为他会去哪里呢?”
"Anywhere. Straight ahead of him."
“任何地方。就朝他前方走。”
Then the little prince said, earnestly:
然后小王子认真地说:
"That doesn't matter. Where I live, everything is so small!"
“那没关系。我住的地方,一切都很小!”
And, with perhaps a hint of sadness, he added:
而且,带着一丝悲伤,他补充道:
"Straight ahead of him, nobody can go very far . . ."
径直朝前走,谁也走不了多……”
null